Mucus inside mouth, having headache, little fever. Convulsion in lower back. Suggest the medication?

Excellent

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
i am having mucous inside my mouth hanging from about up or so, but it is hard to get rid of, I can breathe ok, and I just have a headache and perhaps a just a little of fever, (maybe just nervous). when I try to get rid of earlier, I got some type of short convulsion in the lover back. now the mucous looks like it has grown a little more, and I can not get rid of it, if I try; it hurts a little bit and I cough. I was yesterday at the hospital at the emergency waiting room (a lot of people looked very sick). If I leave the mucous alone, I just slightly fell it there with a little bit of pain. Should I be concern and go to the emergency room or take something over the counter? Thanks.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly nasal polyps and/or sinusitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
These are the symptoms of nasal polyps. Nasal polyps are tissue growths that grow inside the nasal passages and sinuses. The symptoms include mucus that drips into the back of the throat from the polyps. Sometimes you may have a runny nose.
Steroid sprays or nasal drops can reduce the inflammation and shrink the polyps which will reduce the mucus. These can be bought over the counter at your pharmacy.
The pain you are feeling could possibly indicate a sinus infection. If your symptoms do not improve in 7 days, I suggest you see your doctor to discuss antibiotics.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Mucus inside mouth, having headache, little fever. Convulsion in lower back. Suggest the medication? 1 hour later
I think it is polyps: tissue growths, I could not call it other than mucous; so, it was not mucous from the beginning
Thanks, the pain is temporary and short if I sneeze (I don't feel the symptoms of a cold or flu) or longer if I try to get rid (which I don't anymore). If I leave it alone, I don't feel it much.
I have Sodium Chloride : Phenylcabinol. (should I get steroid spray?)
and Oximetazoline hydrochloride 0.05%, which I bearly use lest side effect (but maybe I could use it this time if helpful?? you think? if I use it, I use it very diluted.

Do you know if there is there is any antibiotic (safe) over the counter or should this be taken with the doctor first? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try steroid spray and prescription antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your further question.
I would suggest trying a nasal steroid spray as this is likely to be more effective than the oxymetazoline spray you already have. You will not be able to buy the appropriate antibiotics over the counter so you will need to see your doctor for this.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Mucus inside mouth, having headache, little fever. Convulsion in lower back. Suggest the medication? 7 hours later
hello doctor, there might be some misunderstanding? I feel the growth more in the "ceiling" of my mouth than in my nose. I just saw some pictures of nasal polyps and read your first answer more carefully and does not seem we are talking about the same thing. Could we be talking about two different things. I just feel the growth there in my upper mouth "ceiling" area? which I think I had had it before, but I don't remember if it was when I had a cold, I think it was, but not remember. Could you have another answer for that. I just don't feel nothing unusual in my nose.
When I try to get rid of it, what I do is gargle closer to my mouth, NOT blow my nose? Thaks

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tonsillitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further details.
This is likely to be tonsillitis. Your tonsils lie at the back of your throat and can become infected and inflamed. This will cause them and the surrounding tissues to swell which can give the feeling of "fullness" in the back of the throat. There will be mucus produced that will cause you to cough. There will also be pain in the inflamed tissues.
The treatment is paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain. Gargling is good and an anti-septic solution or warm salty water will help. Antibiotics are sometimes prescribed for severe cases so I would suggest seeing your doctor to discuss this as you do seem to be suffering.
I hope this will help you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Mucus inside mouth, having headache, little fever. Convulsion in lower back. Suggest the medication? 21 hours later
Hi Doctor, sorry to correct myself again about the position of the growth "or" inflamation. It is kind of about or between the hard palate and soft palate, in the ceiling of my mouth. Now I have developed a Mild "cold" NO big headache, some sneezing from time to time, irritation, mild pain to annoying if I try to move it, I have no coughing, no runny nose. No sore throat. The problem of pain or irritation seems to be about between the hard and soft palate.
Thanks, hope you can help to figure out what to do.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See a specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further clarification.
This is an unusual place for a swelling. From you description, it may not be due to an infection. In order to make a definitive diagnosis, I suggest you see your doctor or an ENT specialist. They will be able to closely examine the area and, if needed, take a biopsy.
I hope this helps you.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA