Mucus in the stool, weight gain. History of stomach pain. Taken Nioxin. Done gastroscopy. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
for the past week I have had a constant "upset tummy" feeling in my stomach. When racing to the loo, I dont make a number 2 although it feels like I have to, when anything passes or I wipe, it is just a mucas orange. Im sure I am going to get piles as well, as it sure feels like I have to go! This happens atleast 6 or 7 times a day. I was in hospital 2 weeks ago with upper stomach pain, had gastoscophy (sp) all clear, put me on Nioxin. Have intolerance to refined carbo but pretty good with this. Weight gain as well with the inability to loose no matter how little I eat. Help
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

The first possibility for your symptoms is of course IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which can cause such constant passage of visible orange coloured mucus with pain in the abdomen.

Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus. Lots of gas and indigestion is commonly associated with passage of some amount of mucus in the stools.

Passing stools with visible amounts of mucus could also result from inflammatory gut conditions like ulcerative colitis, and is seen to a lesser degree in Crohn's disease. Bacterial infection, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction may also cause the passage of mucus. Lactose intolerance can also cause such symptoms.

Physical examination, stool analysis and sometimes colonoscopy are entailed here. These basic tests are necessary to diagnose the condition and for appropriate treatment.

I encourage you to consult your primary physician and get the relevant investigations done.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.