Mucus in stool, is it a concern?

after passing a solid stool when I wiped the paper was slimmy almost clear should i be concerned?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jyoti Patil 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

Slimy wipe could be due to the mucus you passed along with stool. Mucus is a clear, white or yellow substance with the consistency of jelly that is produced by the mucus membrane of the large intestine.

Generally, stool containing a small amount of mucus is a very natural and normal thing. But if there is a visible amount of mucus with passing stool it is certainly pathological condition. The apparent amount of mucus found in stool can be because of varied reasons.

The possibilities are:
1. Ulcerative colitis.
2. IBS).
3. Bacterial infection.
4. Bowel obstruction.
5. Anal fissure.

Do you have any other complaints associated with this problem, like pain in abdomen, bleeding per anus, distension of abdomen, fever, etc?

If mucus excretion is mild and not associated with any other complaints, it should resolve on its own without any treatment. But if it is significant with other associated symptoms it needs evaluation.

I would suggest you to consult your Physician for detailed physical examination and investigations like stool examination if necessary.

Other measures which might help you:
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Consume soft diet.
3. Avoid cheese and spicy things.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up cases if any.

Wish you a good health.