Mucus in chest, dry cough, solid white lumps coughed up, breathlessness upon exertion, pain between ribs

Nephrologist
Question
Chest congestion since 3 weeks. Mucus in XXXXXXX chest, comes with XXXXXXX dry cough, get white solid lumps 6-7 times a day. Some coughs are so long and XXXXXXX but the cough coming out is hardly one small piece of white mucus. Feel breathless when I climb few stairs. Breathless when I speak for too long. Pain between the ribs when I run or climb. Smoking 4 cigarettes a day since 3 years. Stopped completely since 5 days
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Cough with scanty expectoration without fever is most likely to be cough variant asthma. I would like you to take a PFT (pulmonary function test) with a chest physician as soon as possible to rule it out. The other possibility in you is COPD- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease secondary to your smoking habit over the years. For both the problems the treatment is primarily the same, bronchodilators. I see that you have been put on Deriphylline retard for the same but it is not sufficient. You need to be put on stronger ones like Salbutamol/salmetrol MDI (metered dose inhalers) also called as pumps. The chest physician will guide you regarding this.

I have gone through your reports in detail, it is looking good except for your total cholesterol which is a little borderline high, please follow an oil and fat restricted diet and also go for brisk walks for half an hour everyday. Also repeat the lipid profile after 2 months for now no medications are required for this.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Mucus in chest, dry cough, solid white lumps coughed up, breathlessness upon exertion, pain between ribs 4 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor.

Can you please tell me about the low platelet count in my report. Is that something to worry about?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 minutes later
Hello

The normal platelet count is 150,00. Platelets are a cause for concern only when it dips below 50,000. Platelet count tends to fall in viral infections and it will recover on it on. No treatment is required for it at levels which you are having now (145,000)

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if there are no further queries

Thank you

Follow-up: Mucus in chest, dry cough, solid white lumps coughed up, breathlessness upon exertion, pain between ribs 2 minutes later
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate this service and the prompt response. I just hope this interaction is not put on public forum with my details. Please do confirm the same.

Hello

I am glad I was of help.
What we have discussed will not be displayed in the public forum. There is an entirely different display for the public forum.

You could write me a review if you like

Thank you