Mucus buildup at the back of throat, no difficulty swallowing, fear of choking. Worried about cancer

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello, I am dealing with a constant mucus buildup in the back of my throat for a couple of weeks. I do not have a difficulty swallowing, but I have the fear of choking. I am very scared and my anxiety high. Could you please give me some assurance of what this may be. This anxiety has me worrying about cancer.
Thank you kindly!!!
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

First of all, I would like to reassure you that it is very unlikely for you to have a throat cancer at this age without any predisposing factors.

The symptoms you perceive are due to both GERD and anxiety. Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the most common factor causing this problem. This is because; the lining mucosa of the throat is different from that of the stomach. When the acid from the stomach comes up into the throat, it causes burning of the mucosa, following which there is inflammation and swelling. In order to reduce the inflammation, there are excessive salivary secretions poured over the inflamed area. This excessive collection of saliva together with the inflammation of the throat gives the foreign body sensation in the throat and choking.

Apart from this, anxiety and hypokalemia (low potassium) also causes spasm of the muscles of the throat, making the situation worse.

Hence, control of GERD and anxiety will reduce most of your symptoms. You will require proton pump inhibitors (such as Omeprazole/Pantoperazole/Esomeprazole) to reduce the production of the acid, prokinetics (such as Domperidone) for prevention of the reflux of the acid into the throat and to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter. Also, you can try taking fruits XXXXXXX in potassium such as plantains and tender coconut water. Drink plenty of warm water; avoid coffee/tea/smoking/alcohol/stress if any.

If the symptoms do not subside, please do consult a good ENT specialist as well as a gastro-enterologist for the expert management of the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Mucus buildup at the back of throat, no difficulty swallowing, fear of choking. Worried about cancer 4 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. You'be answered my question completely.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Please do follow my above suggestions and you will definitely be alright.
I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon