Ask a Dentist   »  

Molar broken off at gum line. Having severe ear ache, sore nose and swollen lymph node. What to do?

Question
Molar brooken off at gumline; abcessed; severe ear ache; rupture after 1 week; pain almost non-existent; possibly draining into maxillary sinus or above (sore nose; sneezing when rinsing); rinsing into and through molar with XXXXXXX cider vinegar 3x daily, then last rinse with salty water; discharge white, frothy (ACV acts like hydr.perox.) and cream cheese like lumps; swollen lymph nodes lower jaw; no health care plan so need good DIY advice + XXXXXXX allowable time until infection disappears
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 4 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Because abscess has formed, extraction of broken tooth will be required after controlling infection.

Please consult a Dentist, who will examine and to confirm the diagnosis and size/extension of abscess can prescribe you X-ray of the broken tooth including root.

Meanwhile he will give some broad spectrum antibiotic and anti-inflammatory.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Molar broken off at gum line. Having severe ear ache, sore nose and swollen lymph node. What to do? 9 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for your clear and concise answer! Extraction is currently not an option, as dental care is not included in the basic health care plan and simply too expensive. The same is true for GP visits, you first have to pay.
I am still managing the infection with the ACV and salt water rinses, and as of this morning am expelling orange-reddish globules together with the white pus. The ACV is now also producing a burning sensation, which - combined with slowly reducing lymph nodes - cautiously leads me to believe that I might actually be beating the infection.
In your opinion, and since I am unable to access dental health care for now, would it be wise to continue rinsing with the ACV and salt water even after the infectious material has been cleared out completely? Or should I try and take other precautions to stave off a new infection?

Looking forward to your response, with friendly greetings,

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Welcome again,

Reduction in the size of lymph nodes is a good sign.

But, ACV will not prevent infection, it will only clean it.

You should brush your teeth every time after eating with tooth paste like Colgate Total. It will be better if you can use Listerine mouthwash in place of ACV, particularly before going to bed.

Ibuprofen is not an antibiotic. It will not control infection. Improvement is only due to cleaning and your immunity. Ibuprofen is only anti-inflammatory analgesic and its dose is 400mg 8 hourly with food.

Are you still suffering with ear ache?

For proper treatment and to rule out any complication, you should consult a Dentist and an ENT Specialist as soon as possible.

Meanwhile if possible, you can take Doxycycline 100mg 2 stat followed by 1 b.d. for 10 days.

With good wishes,