Missing periods and started spotting. Could I be pregnant?

I am due to have a period 7 days from now but I had a spot of blood on tissue today and then I put tampon in and took it out at like 6pm and only a small brown spot on it could I be pregnant?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 29 minutes later

I would like to know some more details on your problem, to understand your problem better and opine specifically.

When was your last menstrual period?
What is the average duration of your cycles?
Are your periods regular?
Are you on any medication for long term?
Did you have unsafe intercourse during this cycle? If yes, please mention the date.

Waiting for the information,

Follow-up: Missing periods and started spotting. Could I be pregnant? 17 minutes later
Last period sept 23-27 duration always 5 days maybe a 4 day one everyonce in awhile I am pretty reg maybe a day or two off sometimes but never early, I had sex with condom and he pulled out and took condom off and covered hand as to not to ej on me but I thought I felt something wet on me but surely tht could not make me pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Considering the information you provided, the expected date of ovulation would be around 6th of October. If you had intercourse two days around the 6th, then there are chances of pregnancy and the spotting could be due to implantation.

The other possibility for such an intermenstrual spotting could be hormonal imbalance, especially progesterone imbalance. This is a common presentation and causes no serious complications. It gets rectified by itself without any treatment as days proceed.

The only way to ascertain the exact cause of the spotting is to wait for the periods. If there is a delay not more than 3 or 4 days then there is no need to worry and the spotting is due to hormonal imbalance. If there is delay of more than 5 days then getting a home pregnancy test done to rule out pregnancy is advisable.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.