Missing periods. Feeling nauseous, fatigued, pain in lower abdomen. Pregnancy test negative. Could it be a cyst?

I am a very healthy 30 y/o, and I missed my period by 4 days. I don't feel well at all; I am fatigued and have had a dull achy pain in my lower right abdomin for days. I have been nauseous as well. I am not pregnant; I had a professional test done. Not sure if it could be a cyst? Should I seek medical attention or is this common?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
A period overdue only by 4 days that too for the first time is not indicative of a cyst. The first diagnosis that needs to be ruled out here is pregnancy. Sometimes a delayed conception may show an early false negative pregnancy tests.
You can test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test ( 20 - 25 mIU ) kit. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.
After the pregnancy is ruled out, the other causes of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here.
In case you do not get regular periods by next week then you can consider consulting your gynecologist for necessary investigations and treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.