Missing bowl movement after having diarrhea. Having sticky discharge. What could it be?

Hi I have a question yesterday I had diahrea and lots of it couldn't keep anything down I haven't had a bowel moment yet today and I am unable to pass gas. I also have a weird discharge that is sticky and smells funky what could it be
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Your description could match the following irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or bacterial infection. Although we will have to further look into this to confirm it; an evaluation by a doctor will also be necessary. A bacterial infection could occur after being exposed to contaminated food or water.

Let me ask you a few questions, let me know if you have experienced any of the following:
-Abdominal pain or cramping (especially after eating triggering factors; which I will list later on in this discussion)
-Regular bouts of diarrhea after being exposed to triggering factors
-Gas or flatulence
-Abdominal bloating
-Mucus in the stool
-Fever when you experience diarrhea? Do you have a fever right now?

Triggering factors:
-Spicy food
-Oily, fatty, fried food
-Dairy products
-Sugar containing drinks
-Carbonated drinks

Most of the symptoms of IBS are experienced after being exposed to these triggering factors.

Do write back to me. Awaiting your response.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Missing bowl movement after having diarrhea. Having sticky discharge. What could it be? 2 minutes later
I forgot to add I do have acid refelx and I am currently on 40mg a day
So all those foods upset me
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Hello once again.

Acid reflux does irritate the gut, but everything eaten in small quantities prevents acid reflux to a large extent.

The irritation caused by these food items will result in gas, flatulence, diarrhea, abdominal bloating like symptoms. This is not related to the acid reflux, but is due to a condition I mentioned earlier (IBS).

Have you been experiencing diarrhea regularly, without any fever. If yes, for how long?
Follow-up: Missing bowl movement after having diarrhea. Having sticky discharge. What could it be? 1 minute later
No I haven't
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Then both the possibilities still exist. This is either a bacterial infection (causing mucus and diarrhea) or IBS (in which diarrhea and mucus are also seen). The best way to distinguish between them would be to conduct a stool analysis.

To encourage a bowel movement you can drink plenty of water, have natural probiotics (curd, yogurt, flax seeds, etc.), more fiber in your food, etc. Once you have a bowel movement, and still experience the diarrhea, please visit a doctor for a physical examination, and a stool analysis. This will surely help.

If you have a normal bowel movement, there should be nothing to worry about. But, if you experience diarrhea again, without a fever, any time in the future, then we might have to elaborately investigate to rule out/diagnose irritable bowel syndrome.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help.

Best wishes.