Missed vein while trying to shot percoet. Swollen site, soreness. Any advice?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
yesterday I injected some percoet in the bend of my elbow about 3 90cc shots and I know I missed the vein alittle bc I kept having to move the needle up and down to keep the blood so it would come back in the syringe but it never hurt o anything like tht like I hit something I wasent suspose to but needless to say this is only about the 4th or 5th time doing this and absolutely MY LAST THATS FORSURE But in mins after there was pretty good amount of swelling kinda like a golf ball around12:30 am this morning and today when I got up the golf ball knot has kinda evened out and is just a large swellin area in the bend of my arm same area the knot was it just isn't a knot know it dosent hurt and wasent sore and had no redness as of 11:30 am I then wrap it with wash cloths really really hot with made my skin sore I guess from the cloth being so hot but im scared to death ad guess I deserve it for being such an idiot..please any advice what it sounds like to you
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Yes, this is definitley not something that you should do by yourself.You didnt mention what for are you taking Percoet?
But dont need to worry, it is pretty obvious what happened. You have injured some of blood vessels in subcutaneous area. Probably vein(especially if it was dark blood with no active pulsatile bleeding). There is an option that joint capsule was damaged and liquid then acummulated around it but it would happen after 24 hours,not after few minutes. This hematoma usually become limited spontaneously, but it is advisable to place some ice and moderately tight wrapping using elastic bandage.In 10 days hematoma should be resorpted in 10-14 days.If you notice finger swelling, tingling or inabillity to move you should visit doctor as soon as possible.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help