Missed the vein in arm while injecting meth. Spot become red and swollen. Should I see a doctor?

Hi, a few days ago while injecting meth, I clearly missed the vein in my arm... (slightly above the elbow). Over the next day, it became red and severely swollen... worse than I recall ever experiencing. I have been putting warm compress on it as well as preparation H as an anti-inflamatory... but wondering if I should be doing anything else or see a doctor?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

I am sorry that you suffered the injury. Preparation H is anti-hemorrhoidal medicine. It helps in constricting the blood vessels. I do not know how it helps in your current situation.

You could rather try cold compresses instead of hot one, as cold compresses are much soothening, reduce the swelling and decrease the inflammation better. Consider applying ice packs to the affected area thrice a day.

In my suggestion, preparation H may not be a good choice in you. Ice packs will work wonders. Apart from this, you may take Tablet Tylenol for relief of swelling and faster healing. It is available over the counter in the US.

Please do not use the same site to inject again for at least a week, until everything clears up.

You could use topical calamine lotion on the area or even a simple moisturizer containing aloe vera.

I do not think you need to see a doctor now. It will heal quickly within a week's time. Give adequate rest to your arms.

Get well soon. Do write back if you have more queries.