Missed periods. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy? What is cause for delayed periods?

my wife period date in september was 8th and it lasts for 3 days. Every month, it happens between 28-30 days. So, she was expecting period before 8th of october but till now no sign of it. We did a pregnancy test today and result was negative. So, i would like your advise what can be other reasons for delayed period and if she is pregnant how soon can we get to know?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Your wife's expected date of periods this month was 8th October- that is today. It is too soon right now to test for pregnancy. A delay in periods for 2-3 days is a normal physiological variation and is not worrisome. You should wait till at least 14th October for her periods to start spontaneously. In case the periods do not start then you can get her pregnancy test done to rule out pregnancy. After ruling out pregnancy, other causes need to be investigated like hormonal imbalance, dietary changes, stress and anxiety, etc under the guidance of your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.