Missed period. Home pregnancy test shows positive. Want to terminate the baby. Can I use abortion pills?

Question
Hi my period was due on 2nd Sep 13 but have missed it ,I have done a Home pregnancy test twice and both time it shows Positive .As checked using the pregnancy calculator available online I am 5 weeks and 3 days pregnanat.I am unmarried and want to terminate this baby but worried about doctors questions about pregnancy .Can i use the Abortion pills available in market without prescription?? and what is the time line for terminating the pregnancy with pills?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medical abortion is possible under surveillance.

Detailed Answer:

Medical abortion is safe during this period of pregnancy and can be safely used up to 9 weeks of pregnancy, but is more effective when performed soon after a missed period. It is not advisable to do it on one's own as it carries with it the risk of abnormal bleeding, incomplete abortion, infection and mistaken abortion done for an ectopic pregnancy which could be life-threatening.

I advise you to see a gynecologist, get a physical examination along with a trans-vaginal sonogram to locate the pregnancy and the gestational age, blood counts, bleeding and clotting times and then go for the abortion under the doctor's surveillance with a proper prescribed dose of the medication.

The process usually takes about few hours to a day or two and the prescribed dose should be strictly adhered to.

The completion of the abortion should be confirmed by the doctor and a follow up sonogram is taken two weeks after the abortion to confirm the completeness of the abortion.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Missed period. Home pregnancy test shows positive. Want to terminate the baby. Can I use abortion pills? 3 minutes later
Thanx Doctor.One of my friend has suggested to eat papaya for abortion can it be possible ??its my First pregnancy I want to have an ultrasound to listen the heart beat of the fetus ,can it be possible now??

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heart beat can be seen at 5-6 weeks.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

It is true that papaya has been shown to cause uterine contractions but the effectiveness in causing a complete abortion has not been established. Fetal cardiac activity can be seen in a trans-vaginal sonogram at around the 6th week. As you are well into your 6th week, you can expect to see cardiac activity.

Hope your doubt has been clarified. Please feel free to get back if you need any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Missed period. Home pregnancy test shows positive. Want to terminate the baby. Can I use abortion pills? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor one last question its just 5 weeks and my tummy started coming out ,m jeans got tight and clothes are also getting uncomfortable , when my sister was pregnant her tummy shows up in 5 months .Is it normal that I looks the same as she in her 4th/5th month .I feel like vomiting whole day ,can't sit or stand for too long as cramps get started my stomach.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Uterus gets palpable at 12-14 weeks only.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Your pregnancy is still inside the pelvic cavity and cannot be felt per abdomen. Your tummy will start showing only during the 5th or 6th month based on your stature. What you are feeling is perhaps the pelvic pressure that is naturally felt at this stage and added to that, the natural discomfort with tight clothing. Please choose some light clothing that is more comfortable.

To control vomiting, you can take medications prescribed by your doctor along with some diet modification. Avoid beverages, oily and spicy food and increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables along with liquids. To avoid cramps, you should take sufficient rest, avoid rough travel and intercourse.

Hope all your queries are clarified. Please feel free to contact if you have any more queries. I will be ready to help.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.