Miscarriage. Severe head, ear, neck and jaw pain. Should I go to the emergency room?

ENT Specialist
I just had a miscarriage last wk and now I'm experiencing sharp pain on left side of head and ear, my left glands hurt and on the left side back of head near neck is sore. When I chew, the left side of jaw and check hurt too.
Do I need to go to the emergency room? What could this be? I don't have a temp.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 52 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The pain over the left side of the face, ear and the glands could be the features of:
1. Dysfunction of the Temporomandibular joint
2. Dental related (infected molar tooth or gingiva)
3. Infection of the external ear

And, the pain over the area below the ear and the neck could be a referred pain from the temporomandibular joint.

You need to consult a good ENT specialist or a dentist for a thorough evaluation. Without a proper examination of the oral cavity and the ear it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause.

Do not worry, it does not seem to like an emergency condition, for the pain relief you can take ibuprofen and consult the doctor at the earliest.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon