Minor intermittent pain on right side of abdomen, radiating to shoulder. Treatment for abdominal pain?

Very paranoid. Yesterday I woke up with minor intermittant pain on right side of abdomen (similar to a stitch like pain) that radiates to shoulder a bit when I position myself a certain way. Please help, cannot sleep, too much internet research.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 minutes later

The pain on the right side can originate from the liver, the gall bladder, the base of the right lung or from the soft tissue overlying these organs.
As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following question:

You can help me better by getting back to me with certain additional info
1. How long did it last?
2. Is it still there?
3. Does it come and go or is it constant in severity?
4. Is it related to intake of food?
5. Is there any associated nausea, vomiting or excessive yellowish discoloration of eyes or urine?
6. Do you consume alcohol? If yes, how much?
7. Have you suffered from a blunt trauma to your chest/abdomen area recently?

These answers will help me zero in on your problem.

Awaiting your reply.
I wish you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Minor intermittent pain on right side of abdomen, radiating to shoulder. Treatment for abdominal pain? 6 hours later
1. It is still there but less so. I would say a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 at the moment. This is the 2nd day I'm feeling it.
2. The pain certainly varies in intensity. Sometimes I do not even feel it at all but like I said, it has not been intense.
3. I have not not notices any food link.
4. No nausea, no yellow discoloration.
4. I do consume alcohol, perhaps more than I should, but once or twice a week. I had not drank in couple of days before pain began. I drank after pain began and the pain subsided.
6. I do kickboxing (last time I went was Monday eve (pain started Thursday morning). I therefore do on occasion take a kick or knee to abdomen but nothing specific I can remember.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later

Thanks for reverting back.

With the information that you have provided, two possibilities arise in your case.
1.     Soft tissue injury: Since you are into kick boxing, a soft tissue injury could be a possibility. This pain could also radiate to the back and would typically increase on movement and touch. This is the more likely possibility in your case.
2.     Cholecystitis: It is basically an inflammation of the gall bladder in which the patient complains of severe pain which radiates to the back . It is sometimes aggravated by a fatty meal. However, this is a less likely possibility in your case.

I would suggest that you XXXXXXX a ultrasound of the abdomen and a chest Xray Posteroanterior view. If these tests are normal, a soft tissue injury becomes the most likely possibility. In that case, you can take tablet aspirin 325 mg every 6 hours with meals. That will provide sufficient relief.
You could also consider using a diclofenac gel for local application.

Avoid kick boxing classes until you recover from the pain and until you XXXXXXX a doctor. Any injury to the area could worsen the condition

I hope I have answered to your query, if there are no follow up query please accept my answer

I wish you a speedy recovery