Ask a Urologist   »  

Mild twinges in perineum, prostate normal, discomfort around bladder, had UTI, mild headache. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Question
I've recently experienced mild twinges in the muscles around my perineum. I went to the doctor who examined my prostate and said it was fine. Urine tests for NSU came back negative. I continue to experience occasional twinges most noticeable when I urinate. I've always had strong urges to urinate but they've been getting more frequent. I've also been experiencing slight discomfort around my bladder, similar to when I've had a UTI in the past. Last night I urinated and felt very uncomfortable around my bladder and needed to urinate again, 20 minutes later. This morning I woke up with a mild headache. Any idea what this could be?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 30 minutes later

It is good to know more about your problem like the urine stream, voluntary ability to stop it etc.

As you are feeling repeated urge to urinate even after urination ( increased frequency of micturition ),that show incomplete emptying of urinary bladder and you are also feeling twitching around perineum. you must get ultrasound for pelvic organs including prostate & seminal vesicles ,preferably transrectal. I also feel that Uroflowmetery and urinary for culture & sensitivity.To make proper diagnosis these tests are essential.

Irritable urinary bladder and neurogenic urinary bladder are other conditions that can be think of. In the mean time you should take plenty of liquids & start regular perineal muscle exercises.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Mild twinges in perineum, prostate normal, discomfort around bladder, had UTI, mild headache. Suggest? 1 hour later
Hi there, many thanks for your quick reply. My stream seems to be OK and although I am able to stop it, it is not so comfortable. I should also say that I've recently been feeling slightly bloated too.

Thank you for your reply, as a consequence I have already made an appointment to see my GP.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Stream is O.k with pressure or without pressure. In the initial phase stream appear normal as abdominal muscles exert slightly more. So it goes unnoticed. But I would still recommend detailed investigation to rule out certain ailment & reach the proper diagnosis for right & timely treatment.

Good that you made an appointment, let me know his primary opinion.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”