Mild proteinuria. GFR-106.4. Frequent urination. Creatnine level-1.0. No glucose in urine or white blood cells. Kidney failure?

Nephrologist
Question
Want to know if I should be worried that I am going into kidney failure.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later
As per your history you have proteinuria. We need to know if you have high bp, and what is the 24 hrs urine proteinuria.

Protinuria can be transient also and you should test again whether it is persisting. As such there is noneed to worry at present your gfr is normal and you are not in renal failure . If 24 hrd Protinuria is greater than 3 gm, is persisting or you have hypertension then you should undergo kidney biopsy .

Overall risk of future kidney failure is related to the extent of proteinuria, hypertension and kidney biopsy diagnosis if done. You should follow-up regularly with your nephrologist.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Follow-up: Mild proteinuria. GFR-106.4. Frequent urination. Creatnine level-1.0. No glucose in urine or white blood cells. Kidney failure? 35 minutes later
I've never been officially diagnosed with high blood pressure. They would take it and it would be in the 140's over 90's then they'd take it again and it be in the 130s over 80's. Recently the last couple of times I've had it taken, it was in the 120's over 80's. What will a kidney biopsy show? How badly it is damaged? Would lack of sleep be a cause of protein in my urine? I have been burning the candle at both ends a lot lately. I few days ago. I recently decided to quit drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Will this help to improve the quality of my urine sample?

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 3 hours later
Hi XXXXX,

your pressures seem to be fine.

What will a kidney biopsy show?

Kidney Biopsy shows the underlying pathological disease which is causing the protein leak and actually is important in making the diagnosis.

How badly it is damaged?

There is no measure of ' how badly' the kidney is damaged. The kidney is performing all its functions well, only thing is the filter is leaking some proteins in the urine which it is not supposed to.

Would lack of sleep be a cause of protein in my urine?
NO

I have been burning the candle at both ends a lot lately. I few days ago. I recently decided to quit drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Will this help to improve the quality of my urine sample?

Well, Yes. Tobacco in any form is very harmful to the kidney especially if you already have protein in urine. I think it will be a correct decision to stop smoking. You may find that the protein in urine has reduced.

Proteinuria is not an uncommon occurrence. regular check with your doctor, vegetarian diet ( limiting protein intake to 0.8gm/kg/day) , quit smoking, montoring BP and kidney function will keep your kidney well.

best wishes.

Follow-up: Mild proteinuria. GFR-106.4. Frequent urination. Creatnine level-1.0. No glucose in urine or white blood cells. Kidney failure? 46 hours later
My 24 hour urine came back <3.5mg. I was wondering. They day they did the urine test I didn't eat much protein as I was already trying to follow a low protein diet to prevent possible damage. Would that effect the results of the test? Plus I may have been off by about five ponds on my body weight. My blood pressure was even better than it was last time at 117/74.

hi,

Your reports are quite good.

But just give attention to the complete report.

See the units of the protein report

Is it 3.5 mg/Kg/day

or is it 3.5 ml/dl

Normal protein in urine is < 150 mg/24 hrs. that is in the whole 24 hrs.

But suppose the report is 10mg/dl and total urine volume in a day is 3 liter then it = 300mg/day.

so carefully read the report or upload the report to the website

decreasing protein intake and reducing weight does decrease the protein content of urine.

best wishes

Follow-up: Mild proteinuria. GFR-106.4. Frequent urination. Creatnine level-1.0. No glucose in urine or white blood cells. Kidney failure? 19 minutes later
Just uploaded the lab report. So I should still make an appointment with a nephrologist then, correct. I'm worried that one in the near future this will progress to kidney disease severe enough to impact my daily life. Does this mean it's better if I start restricting my protein now? I was going to try and bodybuild but I guess that's out of the question as well.

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 13 hours later
your protein content in urine is NORMAL. so no need to worry.

Protein restriction is a good option in diet and avoid bodybuilding protein supplements.