Micro urinalysis done. What are the findings? Should I go for blood test?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
Had 2 micro urine tests

Ph 5
RBC of 0 to 2
WBC 2 to 5
Squamous Epithelium of rare
Mucus of 2+

2 – weeks later

Ph 5
WBC – 0 to 2
RBC – 0 to 2
Squamous Epithelium – rare
Bacteria – rare
Mucus – 1+, lab normal 0
Crystal (1 quantity) – Ca Ox, lab normal 0
Cast (1 quantity) – Hyaline, lab normal 0

Concerns?
If blood and mucus are not suppose to be in urine what could cause mine?
are blood tests and/or additional follow up required?
Could not drinking enough water after exercise cause this finding?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Hello
Your analysis revealed 1-2 RBC in microscopic examination.For all practical purposes presence of 1 to 5 R.B.C in urine is accepted as a normal finding. So do not worry about it.
There are several diseases of the urinary system that you find mucus in Urine,the commonest being UTI or STD and stone in urinary system..
Do you have any symptoms of UTI like you need to use the bathroom frequently, irritation while passing urine etc?
Please get your Routine Urine test and culture done to rule out infection.
In absence of urinary symptoms presence of mucus of level 1 is not significant and you do not need to investigate it further or worry about it.
Drink plenty of water so that your urine remains dilute and take some urine alkaliser to keep urine neutral or alkaline.
Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Micro urinalysis done. What are the findings? Should I go for blood test? 2 hours later
Thank you. No real UTI sympthoms. I originally went to clinic because I could see small particles floating in my urine for past few months. I know I do not drink enough water, but over the past couple of weeks I have changed my habits to ensure I stay hyrdrated.

Could hydration play role in my findings of RBC, WBC, and mucus?

Is cancer a remote concern?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Concentrated urine due to less intake of water is cause for presence of R.B.C and Mucus in urine.
Cancer is the rarest of rare possibilities.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow-up: Micro urinalysis done. What are the findings? Should I go for blood test? 47 minutes later
I urinated into a glass this evening. I noticed what looked like a very very very small short thin reddish hair / fiber floating in the urine. I've had 2 micro urine tests with both at 0 to 2 RBC. What was this?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up. It is difficult to make any comment without actually doing the gross and microscopic examination of the sample. Hence, please submit the same in the laboratory for testing.

Thanks
Dr.Patil

Follow-up: Micro urinalysis done. What are the findings? Should I go for blood test? 13 hours later
Doc, first THANK YOU for your expertise and time. I had my retested today. Results were for the most part the same as previous tests:

RBC was 0 to 2 with a lab normal of less than 3
WBC was 0 to 2 with a lab normal of less than 5
Squam EPithal was FEW....the last 2 tests were RARE
bacteria remained RARE
Mucus remained at 1+

My manual UA was completely normal as with the other tests. Only issue is with the micro UA results.

What do you mean by your statement "Cancer is the rarest of rare possibilities"...can I eliminate cancer from the equation?

I remain concerned because of these findings.

Would there be other abnormalities if it were serious? What would expect to see?

Also, if it was serious would my numbers be more abnormal or would they start low, as they are now, and increase over time?

Finally, how common are my results?

Again, thank you for your time and expertise.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 51 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
I repeatedly reiterate that In all practical purposes your Urine Analysis is absolutely normal We never judge the seriousness of any problem only on microscopic analysis of urine. It is the symptoms or the way patient presents clinically that plays importance in diagnosis of any disease.
Please do not get worried on such minor findings which are of least importance for me as a clinician.

I again reiterate that you do not have any serious issue that you should be worried about.

By making a statement cancer is the rarest of rare possibility I mean there are no chances of cancer at all.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil