Meniere's disease, mitral valve prolapse, polydipsia, unquenchable thirst, fluctuating blood sodium levels. Treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am 47 years old, weigh 125 pounds and have Meniere's disease and polydipsia, so I reduced my water intake. But I get very thirsty after eating something salty or eating bread. For example, after eating a piece of bread with only 65 mg of sodium I had to drink 52 ounces of water over a four hour period before my thirst was quenched. I was told not to drink more than 5 ounces of water every half hour, so I more or less did that. I find that my thirst is not quenched easily if I wait half an hour or an hour to drink the next cup of water. If I drink 12 ounces of water immediately, and another 6 ounces half an hour or an hour later, I might end up drinking less than if I drink only every half hour. Should I drink about 18 ounces after eating about 200 mg of sodium, and then wait for my blood sodium level to go down before drinking any more?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Yes, you can drink 18 ounces of water after 200 mg of sodium rather than divide it half hourly since the idea is to balance salt and water, not just exact water intake. Please remember that the best alternative is to have less salty foods i.e. less than 1000 mg (ideally) per day or at least not more than 2000 mg per day.

Other precautions to be taken are:

1. Distribute your food and fluid intake evenly throughout the day and from day to day.
Eat approximately the same amount of food at each meal, and do not skip meals.

2. Avoid taking in foods or fluids that have a high salt or sugar content.

3. Try to aim for a diet high in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in canned, frozen, or processed foods.

4. Drink adequate amounts of fluid daily. This should include water, milk, and low-sugar fruit juices (for example, cranberry).

5. Try to anticipate fluid loss that will occur with exercise or heat, and replace these fluids before they are lost.

6. Avoid caffeine-containing fluids and foods (such as coffee, tea, etc).

7. Limit or eliminate your alcohol intake.

8. Avoid foods containing MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is often present in pre-packaged food products and in Chinese food. It may increase symptoms in some patients.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.