Membrane on eye appears to be loose and have itchy eye. What is the problem?

The membrane appears to be "loose" in the white part of the eye, and it definitely irritating. It looks like a clear film that "wrinkles" up when I look off to the side. My eye became itchy and irritated quickly with redness to sclera, and itchiness. I don't feel like my vision is affected. The membrane is movable but not removable and I had not noticed it prior to today.
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later

The membrane on the eye is called the conjunctiva.When the eye becomes inflamed the membrane becomes loose because of fluid collection underneath.The membrane is present since birth but is normally not noticeable.I would advise you to apply some artificial tears(Refresh tears eye drops).This should solve your problem.

I hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah