Melanoma. Discovered non hodgkins large b cell lymphoma stage 2. Spread rapidly through his nervous system. Is this common?

My friend battled melanoma last year, he told me december that he was now in remission and he was super excited. Then after 3 weeks he went back for what he thought where routine scans only to find out he had non hodgkins large b cell lymphoma stage 2. Is this common? It spread rapidly through his nervous system and before we knew it he is now at stage 4. Can someone who has had all this bad luck survive? I know he is receiving R-CHOP and it is taking all his energy and motivation. Im scared he will give up soon. Has there ever been a case where a miracle occered and he was then cancer free?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 days later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear what your friend has been going through. It sounds like so much for a single person to deal. I am however happy that he has been able to at least defeat the melanoma.

Feeling demotivated is not strange in someone who has to face all of this by himself. It is not easy at all. The best you can do for him now is that friends and family members should show him abundant love, motivate him again and give him reasons to feel loved and the desire not to give up on you and continue with this treatment while the medical professionals provide the best up to date treatment available for this condition.

Cure rates for this cancer type and stage stand at approximately 60-70%. His treatment is the today's standard of care for this and we can only wish him the best. He can still make it among the fortunate ones who get complete cure and so all hopes are not lost. It is a pretty good percentage with a high probability of landing there.

Telling who beats this cancer or fails to is a difficult call to make. We can only project that the less severe your symptoms and the tumour load, your chances are higher. However, the best point to tell is actually judging from treatment outcome at the end of his 4 or 8 cycles depending on the response to treatment.

There have been cases where people deal with many other more serious cancers than this and have succeeded. I don't know if he will make it onto this list of persons but I very much wish him so.

I hope this addresses your query fully. If there are any further questions you wish to ask related to this query, please feel free to ask me and I will gladly address them.I wish you friend all the very best of outcomes. I encourage you and others to help keep him motivated and going. Also, talk to your doctor to figure out if there are any social support services available for him in the neighborhood.
Dr. Ditah, MD.