Medication for high potassium levels in blood.

is one of the medication high in potassium?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for writing in.

Your high cholesterol, anxiety and high triglyceride are not related to high potassium level.

High potassium levels in your blood, also known as hyperkalemia, can occur for a number of reasons. Normally, the amounts of potassium in your blood stay within a narrow range, between 3.6 to 4.8 milliequivalents per liter, or mEq/L. If your levels rise over 5 mEq/L, it is known as hyperkalemia.

Few causes of high potassium are - Any kidney disease can cause potassium retention. Drugs like potassium sparing diuretics and beta blockers can lead to hyperkalemia.

It will be very helpful if you mention your medication , if any. Then it will be possible to comment upon the exact cause. Also please let me know your blood reports.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern please let me know.