Medical abortion, bleeding for 6 weeks. Cause of concern ?

hi doc i have under gone medival abortion on 18 th april still am bleeding is it ok
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for query.

The bleeding after abortion depends upon the method used, it ranges from one to four weeks after initiating the abortion. Bleeding, pain in the abdomen(cramps) along with passing of products of conception is noticed during this period.

You had abortion on 18th April. it is almost more then 6 weeks by now and bleeding should have stopped by now. It is a bit concerning.

There might be chance of incomplete abortion or infection. It needs to be ruled out. Report to your gynecologist for physical and pelvic examination. You may need an ultrasound for confirmation of complete evacuation of products.

I am available for opinion after the initial evaluation is done.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I will be glad to answer any clarifications that you may have.