Med-high risk displaysia and pregnant. Should undergo LEEP procedure. Abortion only solution?

My wife is scheduled to have a leep procedure in a week..she just took a pregnancy test and it seems like she's 4-5 weeks pregnant...does this mean we will have to abort? It's med-high risk displaysia so I don't think it can wait till after the pregnancy.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) procedure does seem to affect a little during conception/birth because of the scarring that takes place on the cervical area. Though, fertility is in no way affected.

So, the extent of LEEP would decide the fate of this pregnancy. And this would be best discussed with your specialist even before the procedure.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.