May have a mild attack of gout. Red and swollen. Uric acid was slightly elevated and overweight. What can I do?

Question
My doctor thinks I may have a mild attack of gout causing a red and slightly swollen foot for several months. My uric acid was slightly elevated. It is getting better now, but I don't want to get it again. I don't drink. or eat purines, I exercise 5 days a week. I'm overweight, but not obese, and watch my diet. What more can I do?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

Apart from the diet, being physically active, I'd like to add, drink more water; it is natural, and would help cleanse your body from the "bad" metabolites that would trigger a gout attack.

Furthermore, as you might know, avoid drinking alcohol as it would interrupt the elimination of uric acid from the body, thus, it remains for long time in the blood stream causing gout attacks.

Apart from not eating purines, you should also limit or avoid foods XXXXXXX in saturated fats, foods containing fructose syrup, and foods XXXXXXX in simple carbohydrates.

It is great that you are exercising 5 days a week at your age, that will also help you losing weight apart being healthy and preventing gout attack.

In addition, sometimes, doctors prescribe some pills to take for long term use in order to prevent gout attack or at least lessen the symptoms.

You can talk to your physician if you can start any of these medications. Please bear in mind that these pills are not necessary to give to specific patients.

I recommend always to my patients to use herbal remedies (local) as they are of great help together with above-mentioned options.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!

Follow-up: May have a mild attack of gout. Red and swollen. Uric acid was slightly elevated and overweight. What can I do? 36 hours later
Thank you for your pertinent suggestions.

Brief Answer:
Most welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Your're welcome!

Wish you all the best!