Mammoplasty done. Having pain around stitches, joint pain and low BP. Safe to go for abdominoplasty?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Hello doctor,
I had planned for a mammoplasty (reduction) and abdominoplasty with a gap of 1 month after consulting with my surgeon. The mammoplasty was done on March 16th in bangalore and i am still having pain around the stiches and have had a series of health problems that i have never had earlier in past 1 month. High fever, followed by low bp and sever joint pain. This is despite following my doctor's prescription and food advice. How do I ensure that my stitches are not somehow infected and what kind of diet should i follow to ensure I am healthy again. It's already been 1 month since the surgery and my surgeon feels i am ready for abdominoplasty in 1-2 weeks now. Looking at my experience with the last surgery do you advice that I am ready? what would be my recovery time for abdominoplasty?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Surindher 21 hours later

Sorry for the delay in replying to your mail as I was out of town.

Pain around the stitches is normal because there are sutures inside which need to dissolve and also the swelling which has to resolve. You haven't told me what kind of a procedure was done for the reduction. The vertical mammoplasty has less issues. But am sure even the issues you have stated will settle down.

As far as the fever and joint pains are considered, I think you need to see a physician and rule out other causes for the fever, because though infection in the suture line can cause fever, might not account for the joint pain.

If you continue having fever and joint pains and constitutional symptoms, then you are not fit for an adbominoplasty. Best is to get yourself evaluated by a physician and rule out any problems and then plan for your abdominoplasty.

Reduction mammoplasty and abdominoplasty can be done in the same sitting or a month apart , that is not an issue, but I just don't want you missing some other problem attributing your present symptoms to the surgery you had.

Of course you realise that this advise is strictly based on what you have mailed me. I have not examined you clinically nor have I see the suture line, so my suggestions are based on the knowledge of the procedure and the expected healing patterns.

For a proper evaluation kindly do visit a plastic surgeon for evaluation of the suture line and a physician for investigation into the constitutional symptoms you are having.

Thank you for your query and wishing you a speedy recovery.