MRI stated anterior osteophates noted. Lumbar spondylosis, disc degeneration. DDD be cured completely?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
MRI report

1)Anterior osteophates noted in L3,L4 and L5 vertebrae
2)Rest of vertebrae are normal
3)Posterior elememts are normal
4)Low signal intensities noted in L1-L2,L2-L3,L3-L4 AND L4-L5 inter vertebral discs in T2W images
5)Disc degeneration L1-L2,L2-L3,L3-L4 AND L4-L5 inter vertebral discs noted
6)L5-S1 inter vertebral disc is normal in morphology and signal intensities in all sequences
7)Thecal sac and spinal cord normal
8)Facet joints are normal

IMPRESSION
1)Lumbar spondylosis
2)Disc degeneration L1-L2,L2-L3,L3-L4 AND L4-L5 inter vertebral discs
3)suggest clinical correlation

question- i am 27 years old .can DDD be completely cure.please send good suggestion to cure the disease completely
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later

You are having degenerative changes in your spine. These changes may not be completely reversible with any medications. The treatment given in such conditions depends on the symptoms.

You can take mild pain killers and muscle relaxants according to your symptoms. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your orthopedician.

To decrease the further progression of the problem, regular physiotherapy under the guidance of an expert physiotherapist is advised. Improvising the body posture, avoiding lifting heavy weights is also helpful.

Doing hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel on the area also helps in early relief from pain.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: MRI stated anterior osteophates noted. Lumbar spondylosis, disc degeneration. DDD be cured completely? 39 minutes later
will these be effecting married life, becoz right nw iam 27 years old bachelor.

i am aproject engineer doing electrical oreiented job.recently i got ajob in gulf and was planned to go in feb.

if iam not in agood posture, i will get the pain shooting in my leg. what are the precautions to be taken by me.

is DDD XXXXXXX to life.Even though the pain is not continuous it is killing me.How long i have to suffer

Please suggest me ...becoz this is the age to earn.....

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Degenerative disc disease (DDD) does not affect the married life if the disease is stopped at an early stage with the help of appropriate physiotherapy.

Maintaining a good posture is needed to avoid pain episodes. Your physiotherapist can guide you regarding this after examining you.

DDD is not XXXXXXX to life. It only causes a decrease in quality of life due to pain and discomfort. It is not a life threatening problem.

Worrying would only worsen your problem and your situation will improve with proper treatment. So don't worry, just consult your orthopedician and make a healthy start.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wish you speedy recovery.

Regards.