MRI shows Hypointense lesion in the inferior aspect of the posterolateral right iliac bone. Indication?

I have just received an MRI which shows a T1 Hypointense lesion in the inferior aspect of the posterolateral right iliac bone. What could this inidicate?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 53 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

The MRI show a hypointensity (i.e.fainter density shadow) on the outer and lower side of the hip bone (ileum) near the hip joint.

A MRI low density shadow does not give an exact diagnosis but indicates a lytic bone lesion (bone destruction due to tumour or diseases) or infiltration of the normal fatty marrow by disease process like a lymphoma.

But diagnosis will depend on clinical features, labs, sometimes a biopsy, clinical examination etc.

You have not mentioned the entire report here.
Please take the opinion of an orthopaedic consultant about the abnormality.

It would greatly help if you could upload the MRI report scan here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY      with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

Please mention your entire symptomatology here to enable narrowed differential diagnoses.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!