MRI showed a partial rotator cuff tear. Should I be worried about cancer?

Sep 2012

Yes! I received results from my shoulder MRI that showed a partial bone marrow signal alteration involving the proximal humeral diaphysis main considerations would include heterogenous red marrow and atypical hemangioma. Metastatic focus can not be excluded if there is a history of known malignancy". Ok..I don't have history of my own, however, my father died of AML 4 years ago at the age of 63. My mother died two years ago 6 weeks after being diagnosed with lymphatic cancer in her liver etc, pancreas...I am 42 and although for obvious reasons I worry a lot about family doctor said nothing about the marrow findings..should I be worried? Are these normal findings? I am fit and my doctor considers me healthy but I don't feel is hard for me to know what is real symptomatically anymore. Tired a lot yes, don't feel healthy but outwardly appear so.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Firstly, according to your description, you have a partial rotator cuff tear.
Now, coming to the other part. A hemangioma of bone is an incidental finding during CT Scan /MRI. For these lesions symptoms like pain, compression fracture, are important.
The hemangiomas without any symptoms are clinically not important. As in your case, you have no symptoms like I previously told, the lesion is clinically not important.

Basically, due to ageing, there is production of increased vasculature in some bones leading to formation of these condition.
For asymptomatic hemangiomas no treatment is required.

But, in this case, a special mention is ' metastatic focus can not be excluded'. As you have a family history of cancer, the lesion is to be examined for its character - benign or malignant. In extreme condition, a biopsy should be done to define its character.

So, do not worry. As you do not have any symptom as I previously mentioned, it is unlikely to be a malignant one.
Sometimes these appear to be normal finding.
If you feel these symptoms in future or you want to be more sure, consult with an orthopedic surgeon for thorough clinical examination, ordering biopsy if required, and further management.

Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: MRI showed a partial rotator cuff tear. Should I be worried about cancer? 40 hours later
I had a bone scan today that I am in reciept of..I leave to go on an overseas deployment tomorrow for a private company. I cannot have them read until Monday...if further test might be needed I could stay home another weekor two to get them. Is it possible to send my scan to you for a preliminary reading of sorts? At least if there are concerns seen?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.
You cannot upload total scan images, because it is not possible.
But, you can upload the report page only. It will be enough for us.
You can send the report directly to me.
Do not worry, take your time.

Follow-up: MRI showed a partial rotator cuff tear. Should I be worried about cancer? 2 hours later
I dont have the report because it has not been read yet. I was hoping to have someone read the film before I leave for overseas tomorrow. My doctor wont have them until monday. I have the actual digital films from the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 hours later

It is ok. Do not worry,.
After coming back you can upload the reports. Because to read the films some softwares are needed. Without these software the the digital films can not be well interpreted.

Take care .