MRI scan shows small T/2 FLAIR Hypertensities in bilateral fronto- parietal region in brain. Meaning? Treatment?

Nov 2013

MRI scan shows Few small T/2 FLAIR Hypertensities in bilateral fronto- parietal region in brain - Small vessel Ischemic changes.I am aged 63 years old. I feel drowsy at any time. Also I feel memory loss. I have severe writer's cramp problem in my right hand, finding very difficult to write..( Focal Dystomia) otherwise I am active and still holding a responsible position in an organisation. I am not suffering from high B.P, Diabetes or high cholesterol.My email address is YYYY@YYYY .
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to tell you that your current diagnosis and treatment are along correct lines.

Your MRI brain are suggestive of ischemic changes (lack of blood flow to brain). This can lead to memory problems. Ceruvin (clopidogrel) is an anti-platelet that is a blood thinner and is used for treating ischemic problems in brain.

You need to check the level of vitamin B12 as its deficiency can also lead to memory problems. Similarly, thyroid problem should also be excluded.

Regarding your drowsiness, you also need to exclude OSA (obstructive sleep apnea), especially if you snore at night. This can be done by polysomnography (sleep studies).

Regarding focal dystonia, Botox injections are safe and effective.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist