MRI scan showed Central & Right paracentral herniation with minimum interior extrusion of L3-4 disc. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
As per my MRI scan report of 2010, 1) Central & Right paracentral herniation with minimum interior extrusion of L3-4 disc compressing the anterior epidural fat,indenting the thecal sac & impending on bilateral traversing L4 nerve roots 2) Mild posterior bulge with central and left paracentral herniation of L5-S1 disc compressing the anterior epidural fat,indenting the thecal sac,impinging on traversing left S1 nerve 3) Small left paracentral herniation of L2-3 disc indenting the thecal sac 4)Mild posterior bulge of L4-5 disc compressing the anterior epidural fat & the indenting thecal sac. In these circumstances will Ozone therapy help me and if yes, how many injections do I need to take or there any other suggestions.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Ozone treatment has been tried in many spinal conditions like slipped disc (disc prolapse), spondylosis, joint pain. They are reported to have success rate of 80% to 90% and almost 0% rate of complications compared to medical treatment or surgery.

During Ozone discectomy, ozone is injected in inter vertebral disc. After some time it causes the shrinkage and mummification of the disc, which provides relief to the compressed nerve root; this gives pain relief.

Ozone also exerts anti-inflammatory actions; because of which edema, venous congestion is reduced and the blood supply gets improved.
For facet joints or nerve root compression like in your case, usually 4-6 injections are required to be given once every week. These injections are injected into the para-vertebral space. The number of injections required depends on the symptomatic relief.

The pain relief from Ozone discectomy is good in the long term and its effect usually lasts for more than a year or so.

As your doctor has recommended it, you can go ahead with this. It is just a day care procedure with less hospital stay.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: MRI scan showed Central & Right paracentral herniation with minimum interior extrusion of L3-4 disc. Suggestions? 2 days later
Dear Dr, you have replied that the Ozone treatment effect lasts for one yr or more. What happens after that, do I need to continue the treatment year after year ? Is there any permanent remedy ? Pls advise.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
After a year, if the symptoms return then you may need a repeat session of ozone therapy.
Since these are age related degenerative changes of the spine, it is best to go for regular physiotherapy exercises once the acute pain subsides to retard the progression of the problem.
The permanent remedy is surgical treatment only but even after a surgical treatment, the further progression of the degeneration may happen.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.