MRI scan of cervical spine shows diffuse degenerative changes. Suffer from nack and shoulder pain. Cause?

Hi dr.Anantharamakrishnan,cardiologist. My mri-of servical spine
Histort:48 year old female,upper neck and shoulder pain for 6 months,radiation down arms,radiculophaty.
A non-contrast mri scan of cervical spine shows diffuse degenerative changes.
C4-C5 shows left central dysvopphyte with minimal cord impigment with aut myelomalcia.
The C5-C6 shows moderateright centraldyscophyte causing moderate cord impigment with aut myelomacia.There is moderate to severe bileteral forminal narrowing impigning both exiting C6 nerve roots.
TheC6-C7 shows dyscophate formation causing mild to moderete cord impingment.There is severe left forminal narrowing impiging the exitind left C7 nerve root.There is moderete right forminal narrowing.
Diffuse degerativne changes.The canges are moderate to severe at the C5-C6 andC6-C7 level causing cord impigment with aut mylomalcia as describe.In addition,there is marked forminal narrowing atC5-C6 levels bileteraly and left C6-C7 level impinging the exiting nerve root.
Mri thorasic spine:
A non- contrast mri of thoracic spine shows diffuse mild to moderate degenerative changes more pronaunced in lowervthoracic spine including disc space narrowing, disc degeneration,osteophyte formation and facetchypertrophy.
The T7-T8 shows tiny right central disc herniation with aut cord or nerve root impigment.No other significent abnormality.
I did contact you back in march if you remember with shoulder mri and problems.
Mybproblems are from beagining my both arms more right and neck problems including lower backband upper pain .this is happening from last summer i lockt my shoulder doing somthing then year beafore ibfelt and injured right hand and back.
All time from last year i have pain in wrist elbow,fingers shoulder tingling tru arm pins and needles more right side righ fist i cant close anymore and weenes i went to neurologist in march for testing nervs kcm-mashine testing he said my nervs are fine .After mri of spine they said it did not do from shoulder means shoulder did not do this to my neck then my question "what causes to i have this with spine "when this happen if you can pausle all of this .Thank you your's E.I.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 days later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are obvious degenerative changes / and compression at several areas.
It is a mechanical problem and hence needs mechanical relief – you need surgery for decompression / especially because of impingement on the cord.
Neurosurgeon in collaboration with Orthopaedician will be necessary for the surgical intervention..
And earlier the better to prevent weakness/paralysis of the parts affected...
Nerve conduction studies and Electromyography are done and/or repeated by the Neurologist – necessary to assess the extent and effect of the compression...
The changes in the thoracic spine are far less and don’t seem to need active intervention...

The cause is very likely to be degenerative disease of the joints and spine / and that is most likely inherited... However, Rheumatologist should be consulted and investigations for auto-immune / collagen diseases are in order

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: MRI scan of cervical spine shows diffuse degenerative changes. Suffer from nack and shoulder pain. Cause? 7 hours later

Thank you for caming back to me my gp reffer me back to neurologist and reason is my eye specialist wont's him to get me back she suspect i may have horner syndrom on one eye and meby it is bronchial plexus i sent same neurologoist my spine mri never get back to me then i told my gp she said he olredy check you for that on kcm neurologist test he rule aut carpel t. S. and bronch.plex. I told her he also said my nervs are fine bat after his evaluetion came they are not like that (i did mri of spine after neurologist exam) and maby that mashine is not always 100 procent.She said nothing mach abaut that.
At the time i went to reumatologist last friday he wach all my papers check me for long time he said whay she sent me to him he will write her that i clerly having carpel tunel syndrom i told him they rule aut that he said it is wrong i have that and gave mi to do some blood work done said if blood showw somthing he will call me back i ask him isn't he doctor for artritis(beacouse i have there osteoartritis and problems with joints) he said nothing jast he can give me needle i said thank you gp can give me to when i don't neead to came back.(possibly)
I went to do blood test it wos somthing hul- 27 ant stop by gp she said will see what this one will write and told her agein abaut carpel tunel she said she sent refferal to neurologist bat she never told me that beafore and she said you are not for reumatologist he treating jastreumatoid artritis i told her my mascule were so stiff like in spasam for capule days i hardly wolk bat she said no bissnis for me at reumatologist he olso said my blood press. Wos 156/ she check today 2 times it wos lover then that120/ bat i did not take any medicine since he told me on friday she said keep taiking med.I also ask abat neurosrgen should i have one she said no .
Tell me what you think abaut all your opinion!
Thank you your' trulyE.I.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later

It is very important to be followed up by the neurologist because of findings of compression of nerve roots and cord. He is the one to check for Horner’s also.
     Arthritis usually involves several joints – some more than other; one side more than other. There could be a problem of the wrist, like the part of degenerative disease.
     Rheumatologist / Orthopaedician investigate/assess the cause and consequence of the joint involvement. Your GP probably could do an equally good job... She is the one seeing the overall picture and correlating different specialists...
     The changes in pressure may be from the pain and/or pain relieving medicines...and needs follow up