MRI of brain says nonspecific 3mm T2 bright signal focus in right frontal lobe of doubtful clinical significance. What does this mean?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I'm a 44 YO white female. I have been diagnosed with hypertension for the last 20 years. Now, I have been having some numbness on and off in my left foot for about a year. The numbness is now spreading to the front of my left calf and left arm. My Dr. ordered a MRI of the brain. All findings were normal except this notation: "On FLAIR sequence, there is a small 3mm focus of T2 bright signal in the anterior right frontal lobe. There is no cerebral edema, mass effect or midline shift." The impression says: "A nonspecific 3mm T2 bright signal focus in the right frontal lobe of doubtful clinical significance. If clinical concern persists, a followup brain MRI in 3 months is recommended"
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 2 hours later
Brief Answer: hypertension /anxiety Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello My best wishes for a speedy recovery . I have gone through your medical history in detail . At times MRI BRAIN may show benign nonspecific changes , as in your case . Ideal is to get a repeat MRI BRAIN after 3 months . But for numbness in left arm & leg , may I uggest 1. To get your MRI CERVICAL SPINE to rule out any cervical compression . 2 Get your blood sugar checked to rule out any latent diabetes . 3 Get your HOLTER MONITORING/ 2D ECHO HEART/ LIPID PROFILE rechecked if palpitations are still persisting . Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX Director Deptt. of neurosurgery

Follow-up: MRI of brain says nonspecific 3mm T2 bright signal focus in right frontal lobe of doubtful clinical significance. What does this mean? 3 hours later
I'm a nurse and check BS quite frequently. All normal. Extensive Cardiac work-up all negative. Numbness in face alittle last week. What is your opinion on this being M.S. Symptoms??

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hypertension /anxiety is my opinion Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello Mostly M.S (Multiple sclerosis) is presented with visual impairments along wiyh numbness / weakness . In MS Mostly there is a definite pattern of hyper density on MRI BRAIN. A single isolated lesion is very unlikely to be due to MS . For confirmation/ruling out MS you can go for eye checkup with fundus examination. Thanx Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX

Follow-up: MRI of brain says nonspecific 3mm T2 bright signal focus in right frontal lobe of doubtful clinical significance. What does this mean? 38 hours later
I went to eye Dr yesterday. Exam negative for anything. Fundus checked out fine. While I was there my Left side of my tongue felt numb. This continued for a few hrs then stopped. A few hours later left side of tongue numb again few hrs then stopped. Woke up today only numbness felt was in left arm. No further symptoms rest of day. What do you think?

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 30 hours later
Brief Answer: anxiety Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Fluctuating areas of numbness, with no definite pattern suggests anxiety. Just keep a watch on persistent symptoms & maintain a diary of your symptoms. Try some anxiolytics and/or multivitamins . Thanx Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX

Follow-up: MRI of brain says nonspecific 3mm T2 bright signal focus in right frontal lobe of doubtful clinical significance. What does this mean? 2 days later
I'm am having MRI of spine next. Still having symptoms of numbness. If a person has lesions on their spinal cord as in MS can it affect their BP. Like mine dropped on two separate occasions to 50/20?

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Rarely it can cause hypotension.. Detailed Answer: Hello Please get your MRI whole spine if symptoms are persisting or recurring . If MS type lesions are confirmed on spinal cord , then get your CSF STUDY for MONOCLONAL / OLIGOCLONAL ANTIBODIES to confirm MS . Rarely occasional specific spinal cord lesions can cause hypotension as part of AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHY. Thank you... Wishing you a speedy recovery Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX