Lungs feel tight and raw after inhaling smoke from burning rubber. Suffer problems?

ENT Specialist
I have just inhaled smoke from burning rubber from wellingtons that my husband put to dry by the woodburner. The room was filled with smoke and the fumes persist. Am I likely to I suffer any problems from this? My lungs feel rather tight and raw at present.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is unlikely that you will have any lasting damage to your lungs due to this incident.

2. Get out of the immediate vicinity of the fumes and get some fresh air.

3. If you still have a tightness and rawness in your chest, you may go to a nearby ER and get blood oxygen levels checked. Anti allergics, anti inflammatory and sometimes steroids are used to control any inflammation in the lungs.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.