Lumps on shins, calcium deposits, eating disorder, osteopenia, osteoporosis, magnesium citrate

I am a 29 year old female, about 5 '4, and 127 pounds. Today I noticed that I had several lumps on my shins which I am pretty certain that they are calcium deposits. I had an eating disorder since I was 15, and subsequently osteopenia and osteoporosis (in some areas). I still have issues with eating, but my weight is more or less stabilized. I am wondering if there is a way, other than surgery, to get rid of the calcium deposits? I heard that magnesium citrate is an option and calcium supplements may help, but before I invest money into those supplements, I would like to hear a doctor's opinion.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I think the first and foremost thing which needs to be done is to have a definitive examination and determination of the actual content of these lesions on your shins. Before any treatment can be recommended, a biopsy should be done. This is a simple procedure where a tiny portion of tissue is obtained for analysis by a pathologist. It could possibly be something like a calcium deposit but there is a possibility that it could be something else such as an inflammation of the thin layer of fat under the skin. This is referred to as erythema nodosum.

I can help possibly a bit more if you can send me a few high resolution images of the areas in question. You can email these to my attention at YYYY@YYYY . I would really be remiss to reccomend anything else right now in the absence of seeing the images.

I thank you again for your query and look forward to your reply, update and images related to your concern.

Dr. Galamaga