Lumps on armpits, pus, dark blood, also in vaginal area, overweight. Suggestion?

hi im 19 years old and i have these lumps under my skin on my armpits i tried poping them and pus and dark dark blood came out. but they filled back up this has been happening for a year now i have this problom with both armpits except on right armpit the lump it above the skin and i can see it but when i pop it it has the same reaction as the underskin lumps. in ocasion i get these same outer skin lumps in my vaginal area but those when they pop do go away. i am soverweight if is the weight the issue what should i do??
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

From the symptoms it looks like infected hair follicles causing folliculitis and the second possibility is of Hidradenitis suppurativa. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph). Obesity may be a predisposing factor but it is not the sole causative factor for folliculitis. So your being obese does not cause it.

Hydradenitis suppurativa occurs when apocrine gland become plugged and lesions usually appear in armpits and groins. It is more common in females and may be due to infected hair follicles or excessive sweating. Obesity makes it worse however this condition is not caused by obesity and weight loss will improve but not cure it.

I suggest you to try avoiding inflammatory foods and foods high in refined carbohydrates. Apply warm compresses on the bumps and some topical antibiotics creams like Bactroban.

If the symptoms persist then you can consult your doctor to get prescribed oral antibiotics. If still the lumps persist then specific treatment like Vit A supplements, corticosteroid injections, Isotretinoin, Antiandrogens and sometimes excision and drainage ,laser therapy and radiotherapy are found useful and can be tried. You can consult a dermatologist in that case as these medicines are available by prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.