Lump under jaw, runny nostril, sore throat. Had cold. What is it?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi I have a hard lump under the left Side of my jaw. It doesn't hurt much when I touch it. I also have a runny left nostril and a sore throat. Furthermore I had a cold about 3 weeks ago which last up to 10 days.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 18 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

Presence of a hard lump under the jaw needs to be investigated at the earliest.
A hard lump at this site could be an enlarged lymph node, salivary gland growth, a soft tissue or bony growth.
Absence of pain rules out an inflammtory lesion.

Is there associated weight loss , weakness or decreased appetite?
If yes a neoplastic/ tumor is suspected.

Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) is the first line investigation.
FNAC is an office procedure in which the cells in the swelling/ lump are aspirated using a fine bore needle.
The cells are stained and studied under a microscope.
On the basis of examination, the organ of origin and the nature of lesion- benign or malignant is determined.

Depending on the findings, further steps are taken for management.

Running nose and sore throat may be unrelated to the swelling. It may be a infectious process involving throat and nose.
A decongestant, saline gargles and antibiotic can be taken for it.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Lump under jaw, runny nostril, sore throat. Had cold. What is it? 22 minutes later
No weightloss, weakness, tiredness or fever and my appetite is fine.

With this information how likely is it that it is a tumor?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 minutes later

Thanks again,

A chronic inflammation of the salivary gland or fibrotic tissue replacing normal soft tissue, an enlarged inflammed lymph node, a benign bony growth can present with painless hard lump. Malignancy is suspected if the painless hard lump is growing very fast and soon.

That being said, the true entity of the lump will be decided only by FNAC. Therefore worthwhile consulting one doctor for examination and FNAC.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr Shailja P Wahal