Lump under baby's rib cage. What are the risks?

Pediatrician
Question
Lump under baby's rib cage
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 50 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I would appreciate if you can provide the age of your child and the exact location where the lumps is felt below the rib cage. What is the size of the lump? Is it fixed or moveable?

In the centre where the two ribs XXXXXXX below the sternum it is very common to see a small marble sized lump. This is the xiphisternum which is prominent in some cases and there is nothing to worry about it.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your child all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Lump under baby's rib cage. What are the risks? 44 minutes later
The lump is about 1 1/2 inch to 2" round and it is more the clunking sound is disturbing to me. The lump in under the rib cage so I am not sure wether it is fixed or moveable. The lump is more obvious if you lean him to the left side when he is sitting, otherwise you cannot visually see this med to large lump.
Grandmother
P.S. What is the clunking sound I can feel

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

Unfortunately you did not mention the age of your grandson and the exact side and site of the lump below the rib cage.

1 1/2 to 2" lump is pretty large and needs to be evaluated by a doctor. I suggest you consult your doctor and, if need be, get an ultrasound done to know the cause of the lump which shall guide us further.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your grandson all the best.

Rajiv