Lump on the head after injury, pain in the jaw while eating, pain in the head

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I fell out of a rapid while going down a water slade thus hitting my head in the left temple area. I did not loose consciousness but had a lump on the side of my head with a little bruising. I found it difficult to eat after this as my jaw was in extreme discomfort. This happened three weeks ago and now I have a constant pain on the left side of my head also when i use my jaw the left temple area is painfull.??????
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Your information is very suggestive

There are two possibilities :
1] Either there is a blunt soft tissue injury to the small muscles of mastication
2] There is some injury to the temporomandible joint

You may try antinflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen 600mg three times a day along with ice application to the local area

If it is soft tissue injury the pain will subside gradually
If the pain persists or increases it would point to an injury to the joint, in that case you need to get an xray done and see a faciomaxillary surgeon

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon