Lump on the collarbone, sore neck. Family history of lung cancer. Suffering from pelvic congestion syndrome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Im 34 yr old female I have noticed a solid lump on my collarbone on the right side I also have a sore neck at that side Im a bit worried as my mum died last year with lung cancer and her lumps were there and she had stage 4 cancer she died very quickly. I suffer from pelvic congestion syndrome and have problems with veins could this be connected. The lump is not painful although it is now as I have pressing at it , it seems to be attached to my collar bone. thanks
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later

1. Non painful solid lump attached to collar bone with family history of lung cancer needs thorough examination and screening.
- Since when you noticed the swelling?
- Is it increasing in size?
- Do you have any other symptoms like cough, loss of weight / appetite / any pain or stiffness in right shoulder?

Sudden appearance of a swelling or sudden increase in size of swelling, loss of weight / appetite can be a sign of tumour.

2. I don't think it is related to pelvic congestion syndrome

3. It is better you get a detailed examination by an orthopaedician. Your doctor might look for similar swelling anywhere in body / characteristic of the swelling / any nodes nearby. He might take an x-ray of the lump and if needed whole skeletal survey to look for similar swelling anywhere else.

4. If deemed appropriate, a biopsy of the lump can be done. Biopsy reports will reveal the true nature of the lump.

5. Based on your current description, it can be a simple node (? attached to bone) or a benign cyst or a secondary in clavicle. Management follows only after arriving at diagnosis by clinical examination, if needed skeletal survey +/- biopsy. I encourage you to visit your physician / orthopedician for detailed evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need more help.
Please close this discussion if you have no more follow ups.

Get well soon