Lump on the collar bone, pain and fullness in the neck, mild fever. CBC and mammogram normal. Suggestions?

Question
Hello, I am 43 year old women who has swollen painful right color bone.I did not have any injury in the past however I am physically active at work and have a history of stiff neck in the past. 4 months a go I noticed a small bump as big as a pea on my right color(painless). My PCP said to leave it a lone and if it got bigger or painful take an x-ray. For the past 15 days I noticed the bump is getting bigger and hurts when I eat. I feel pain and fullness in my neck area as the bump got bigger(almost 3cm in length, pic is attached)I also feel pressure in my neck and somehow my throat but its not very bad.It responds to NSAIDs. My CBC is normal,but I have had low grade fever(99.8) and chills within last 15 days.I had done mammogram two months a go and it was negative( I have four cysts in my right breast and four on the left side).My right clavicle result shows no fracture and when I showed it to an orthopedic surgeon said can't see any tumor on or around the clavicle. I will have an MRI on Friday and I am nervous to know what is going on?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

1)     Given your history of fever and chills, this lump can be a swollen lymph node in response to an infection causing fever also. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.

2)     Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material called sebum that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. It can regress in size when the sebum decreases.

3)     Third possibility is that of a benign tumor.

You should get a MRI of the lump done. However the best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be done after consulting a physician.

FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then, the material is examined under a microscope to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.