Lump on spine at base of skull, neck pain, headache, hurts to touch. What could this be?

I have had a lump of some sort on the left side of my spine at the base of my skull for about 5 years now. Before it never really caused any problems besides mild discomfort, but now its causing neck pain and headaches . Hurts too touch as well. Somedays its bigger than others. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 43 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Generally such long standing lumps in this region are enlarged nodes, lipoma(fat tumors) or cysts.

Such lumps become symptomatic when either they get infected or turn cancerous. Later being less likely.

So such lump should be investigated. Ideal investigations would be sonography and if needed CT scan or biopsy.

So please consider seeing your doctor and getting investigations done.