Lump on right hip, no pain. Taken X-ray. Awaited CAT scan. What is the reason for this?

21 year old guy, small frame; few days age noticed a lump size of small golf ball sticking out on right hip; visible; no pain, do not think it has been there long; too big to not notice. Went to doctors yesterday, they took exray and called me today to come in tomorrow for a CAT scan. Should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 20 minutes later
Although it is very early to say as you are being investigated like X-ray is done and CAT scan is awaited.
From your initial history since the lump is not painful it could be more likely a lipoma.
Lipomas are benign tumors formed due to accumulation of fat.
Since it is asymptomatic at present I would suggest you to wait for the reports.
If it turns out to be a lipoma then there should be no reason to be worried about.
You have not mentioned whether there is any abnormality in X-ray report.
I would like you to write back with both the reports (X-ray as well as CAT scan)tomorrow.
Awaiting your reply.