Lump on lip, after stitches, noticeable. Suggest.

Hi my son had stitches in his top lip about 12 months ago. He has been left with a lump that is very noticeable and I am now wandering if and what I can do about this as it is extremely noticeable... Thank you.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 53 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. The lump that has formed after stitches on the lips can be due to hypertrophic scar formation. It occurs due to overproduction of collagen, which causes the scar to be raised above the surrounding skin and form a red pimple like growth over the wound or stitchline.

You need to get this scar evaluated from a Dermatologist / Dermatosurgeon regarding the treatment mode. It depends on the firmness, vascularity, size of the node etc.

The treatment modes are chemical peels (chemicals which destroy the epidermis in a controlled manner), dermabrasion (removal of the surface of the skin with specialist equipment), laser treatment using Nd:YAG laser, superficial radiotherapy, steroid injections and plastic surgery of the scar.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.