Lump on ankle, swollen ankle, bruise under ankle, painful. Feels like muscle stretching. Could this be bad?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I hit my XXXXXXX and now i have a big lump , i hit it like 3 inches on top of my ankle and also my ankle is swollen and i have a bruise under my ankle , it hurts when i stop for a while but when i start walking again it goes away a little. also feels like if my muscle was stretching a lil when i get up . could this be real bad ?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 51 minutes later

A swelling and bruising after trauma indicates internal bleeding or injury to underlying soft tissues like blood vessels, muscles or bone.
If there is no restriction of movement it is likely that there is no underlying fracture yet a swelling of ankle joint ideally warrants an xray to rule out any damage to the joint or blood vessel or muscle around it.
The best option is to consult your physician or orthopedic surgeon for thorough check up to confirm the severity of injury and start appropriate treatment.If there is no bony or joint damage, no active bleeding,only muscle injury then the treatment would include anti inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen or diclofenac for pain relief and rest and hot fomentation of the leg for faster healing.The bruise may take many days to resolve but the swelling should resolve in a couple of days
Though it doesn't seem to warrant an emergency room visit , if you develop increased swelling rising above ankle or inability to walk or fever or enlarging or new bruise then seek prompt consultation.As of now try to avoid weight bearing on that leg till the diagnosis is confirmed by your doctor or xray.
There are chances that you have just a soft tissue injury likely to resolve after treatment. So dont panic but at the same time dont self medicate
Hope I have answered your query.