Lump in neck. not painful, growing in size. Have diverticulosis. Should I be concerned about it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, i will try and make my long story short. I am a 39 year old female and one day last year I blacked out for no reason and ever since then i have just not been right.I did not have any of these symptoms prior to blacking out but since that day these are my symptoms that are always here and have never gone away but some days are better than others. I have begun to just get used to them because it is an everyday thing but it is not normal: After that day I also dropped 30 lbs in like 30 days without any change in diet and I get Iight headed, dizzy feelings, heavy chest, headaches, sharp pains in my head and chest, feel like I am having a heart attack at times, get the shakes, itchy head, hot and cold flashes, joint pain, rectal bleeding ( had a colonoscopy done to find out they say I have Diverticulosis and I have had every other test done possible as well, cat scan, mri, a ton of blood work, wore a 24 hour heart monitor ext....... I have seen so many specialist and there are so many other test that have been done that I can't even begin to tell you and everything checks out ok. My new symptom now is I found a small lump on my left side of my neck about the size of two of my fingers put together and you can now see the lump on my neck when before I just was able to feel it through my skin about 3 months ago, it does not bother me at all and it is not painful and I believe I have another one under my chin now too about the size of a pea. they have been getting a little bigger in this time but very slowly. I have not been to the doctors in a while because I am embarrassed about this hole things. I cannot explain what is happening to my boday and all the tests that have been done and they cannot find anything. I know my body and something is just not right. I do not think this is aniexty related... I can be at the most calm in my life and have the worst symptoms. Should I be concered about the lumps on my neck with how I have been feeling this past year????

Thank you for your time - I would appreciate your prespective on this :-)
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You have a collection of symptoms of which is I am sure quite difficult to put together. I am sure this is creating a significant amount of anxiety and we will work on that here today.

Since all your investigations are normal including a 24 hour cardiac monitoring, it seems that you are having a benign viral syndrome.
The swellings in the neck are likely to be due to swollen lymph nodes. Since you have lost a significant weight in last one year it is advisable to get these swollen glands examined. For this, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as swollen neck glands are often caused by an infection, allergic reactions, cancer or metabolic diseases.
I suggest you to adapt healthy life style by doing regular exercise and supplement your diet with more fruits and vegetables XXXXXXX in antioxidants like vitamin A , C and E.

Drink more water to detoxify waste products and other important aspect is to take food in small quantities frequently which is helpful in providing energy continuously rather than eating more at a time which makes you dizzy since you will not have enough energy levels for the whole day.

If you are depressed or stressed, try to come out of the situations by dealing with the root cause and diverting yourself in recreational activities and by taking good rest since they are also responsible for tiredness. Yoga and meditation will also help you.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.