Lump in breast. Awaited ultrasound. Can this be breast cancer?

I went to the docs and they said i got a lump in my breast and have to have an ultrasound. i am 22 with no family history. i am terrified i get the cancer diagnosis. what is the liklihood of this? i feel a lump in the same place on my other breast but is bigger in the left one. it seems to move a little when touched. its quite soft.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Thank you for writing in,
I do not think you have breast cancer. Given your age, it would be extremely unlikely that you have breast cancer. In my opinion, you might be suffering from a condition called Fibroadenoma breast. This is a totally benign condition which occurs in many women with no serious consequences.
Your physician must have ordered an ultrasound to confirm the nature of the lesion. He may or may not order a biopsy as well to make sure that everything is fine.
As far as the treatment is concerned, no active treatment is needed unless it is causing you any active discomfort or unless the biopsy results suggest that it needs to be removed.
Kindly write to me if you have any more concerns. I'll be happy to help you.