Lump & cyst on eyelash line. Had peri orbital cellulitis and surgically removed cyst. Any Suggestions?

6 months ago I had peri orbital cellulitis . This caused a cyst to form which refused to go . 3 months ago I had it surgically removed . The cyst has returned but is not a big as before . I also have a lump along my eyelash line that appears to be linked to the cyst . I am sick off people saying oh what's wrong with your eye. I am washing the eyelash line twice a day with weak baby shampoo which helps the icky eye feeling but has not reduced the eyelash line cyst . Any suggestions ?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 hours later

Thank you posting your query.

Eyelash line cyst is usually caused by what is known as a Chalazion. This is a lid margin gland infection. As you have developed it recently it would respond well to conservative treatment.

As you have not mentioned pain probably there is no active inflammation now; otherwise oral antibiotics were called for. Massage with eye ointment containing Tetracycline and hydrocortisone is what we usually prescribe in such cases. You can get this prescribed by your ophthalmologist and continue it for 2-3 weeks atlest once a day.

I understand this recurrence has concerned you. It is always advisable to have some patience and give some time to nature to take care of the problem. You should soon be fine.

A quicker option is to have a small minor surgery to remove the cyst. Your ophthalmologist can perform the procedure. It is a minor procedure with minimal side effects.

I hope your per orbital cellulitis is being taken care of and being treated. It generally resolves on proper antibiotic treatment. But may rarely lead to orbital cellulitis i.e., infection spreading to the tissues that surround the eye. So do not worry.

Hope this helps. Please do get back to me if you have further queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.