Lump below toe nail with a hole in middle

I have alump on my big toe with a hole in the middle. Just below my toe nail
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

The best way for me to initially provide some recommendations to you would be to have a visual image of exactly what you're dealing with. If you have some time, I would like you to take one or two pictures of the area of your foot that is currently affected and is currently causing your symptoms. You can upload your images on the right side of query page.

There are a number of considerations which come to mind initially with what you have described. The most common cause of this type of growth on the foot is proliferation of some of the skin cells in that area. This is typically triggered by chronic friction which occurs between the toe and whatever type of shoe you're wearing. Another consideration would be that this is a mild infection. Again a picture will certainly help me provide better recommendations.

Let me reassure you right now that, I do not think this is anything which is at all life-threatening. I highly doubt this is some type of cancer. Again I would love to take a look at the picture to provide additional information. Please send the pictures to my attention at your earliest convenience.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I am confident that we will be able to provide you with some additional recommendations after I review your images.

Dr. Robert