Lump at the back of tongue and feeling discomfort while swallowing. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi. i have about 4 lumps on the left side at back of tongue. i cant see it so i dont know what colour it is. i do have some discomfort when swallowing but only at night and my glands are sore to touch.
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from early stages of acute pharyngitis.

Acute pharyngitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the throat, characterized by throat pain, enlargement of the lymph node in the neck, associated with or without fever, etc.

Do not worry! With appropriate intervention this can be take care of.

You can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the pain relief.
3. Do gargles with povidone iodine solution for the speedy recovery.
4. Once you consult your doctor, request for a throat swab.
5. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.
6. If the symptoms does not improve within 3-4 days you can start on antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Lump at the back of tongue and feeling discomfort while swallowing. How to get relief? 8 hours later
but the large lump on my tongue and there are 3-4 smaller lumps on the tongue that are quite discomforting when I swallow especially at night - would that be from pharyngitis.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The enlarged papillae are the hypertrophied lymphoid follicles secondary to pharyngitis. These lymphoid papillae will normally be smaller in size. During inflammation or infection in the surrounding region the lymphoid papillae gets hypertrophied in order to combat infection. Do not worry! The hypertrophied lymphoid tissues are harmless.

Please follow the suggestions mentioned in the previous response, you will definitely be alright.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon